9.30.2013

Starting Life in Japan

by Josie Losh

The temple near my apartment

It's been a week already since I left America, but it already seems like ages ago. Life has been so busy day-to-day, there's no time to think about slowing down! However, for the time being, I'm done with errands like registering my residence at the city hall and with the national government, setting up a Japanese bank account, obtaining the national health insurance, and paying my first month's rent at my apartment! Sadly, this also means that I have completely exhausted my Japanese cash! Especially after paying for groceries and household items! However, so far, I love life in Japan.

My apartment now looks more like someone lives there after I bought the upmost necessity of Japan: a rice-maker.

My own place is not the newest or nicest apartment, but it's only a four-minute walk from campus, and soon will be an even-shorter bike ride! The kitchen not really small itself, but there is no counter space! In the above picture, the space where my rice maker and dishes are is the only counter space in the whole kitchen. I tend to stow everything I use in the above cabinets or on the top of the microwave when I don't need it. The kitchen sink doubles as my bath sink, seeing as I don't have one otherwise.

It's amazing how many necessities it takes to start living in a foreign country. I think Japan, especially, being a very detail-oriented society, requires a form and fee for everything. However, in this respect, I feel very comfortable knowing that everything is taken care of up front. My tutor, Narumi has been INVALUABLE. Without her, I wouldn't understand 80% of what is happening! She often re-phrases complicated Japanese clerks use into simpler Japanese so I'll understand and often ends up repeating herself or others on my behalf. I don't think she could understand how much I value her friendship and help. Narumi's mother also has been so helpful, driving us around to do errands and taking us out to eat.

Let's take a quick tour of my apartment, shall we?

The genkan, or entrance to the house, is a level below the rest of the house. It's where you remove your shoes before entering. Usually, Japanese people have a pair of house-slippers to wear inside the house, but I like going barefoot most of the time.

My storage of coffee-making supplies and facial cleansers tend to end up on top of the fridge and microwave out of convenience!

The bath room is perfect size.

Quite small overall, but perfect for one person.

The toilet room is basically the size of a closet. 
The clean water that drains into the tank is first used to wash hands! Environmentally friendly for sure. However, that means if you want to use it, you first have to flush the toilet! So. I use the kitchen sink for usual use.

Here's my tatami-mat bedroom. It was completely unfurnished. I had to buy the table.

My left closet has all my luggage, shoes I took with me, my makeup, daily necessities, etc.

The view out my first floor window is just the neighboring house and the gravel street. Not spectacular. But, I do have a line to hang my clothes on!

My new futon set. I'm adjusting to it, but after sleeping in a cush American, memory-foam bedtop, this leaves a little to be desired. The pillow was originally so flat, I had to stuff it with scarves and t-shirts to even bare to use it! 

I've decorated my walls with pictures I brought with me. This side is EXO members and a map of Kyushu.

And this side is various pictures and cards, mostly Lee Min Ho and Onew from SHINee. I bought the mirror too.

My favorite Korean actor. I can't believe his new drama is almost out! Can I watch it here with English subs? I hope so...

So far, I've met a few of my neighbors, but I mostly just hear them above and around me. I think most are female Saga University students though. One sound I hear often & I still can't figure out if it's a cat meowing or a baby gargling! It's amazingly quiet at night though. I forget that I'm in the middle of a city even!

And a tour outside of course:

The house next to my apartment. You can see the edge of my gray apartment building to the left.

Vending machines are literally everywhere you look. Even down my street, which is a gravel drive, there is a vending machine with both hot and cold drinks available 24/7.

The entrance to the temple near my house.

The temple also has a pretty large graveyard. 

Here's a look down my street. It's literally right across from the main entrance to the university.

And I, of course, have found the beautiful flowers on my street already. These are a spectacular color.

The sunshine-colored cosmos are wonderful as well.

The abandoned house on the corner of my drive.

My experience so far with the other exchange students, those both fluent in Japanese and not knowing hardly of the language; it's been wonderful to meet everyone. Everyone is so friendly to me, and being the only American, they all seem to remember my name from the first time we met! I guess I do stick out a bit. I've gotten probably a thousand remarks already about my insanely white skin color. Whether it be a Belgian, Sri Lankan, Armenian, Indonesian, Chinese, or Korean person who approaches me, they're all friendly. I think I'll make a lot of friends this year. Classes start tomorrow, October 1. In a week, I'll let you know what I think about Japanese classes.

またね!
<3 Josie

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post a comment.