5.07.2014

In remembrance of the Sewol tragedy

by Matt Dela Peña


My semester in South Korea has been a rather eventful one; one that I unfortunately cannot express in a lighter tone. A lot of terrible things have happened, none of which I, thankfully, was ever a part of. The most horrific event was undoubtedly the ferry that capsized off the coast of Jeollanam-do on April 16th. Most of its 476 passengers were students from a high school not too far from here. All but 173 of them drowned. Through this heartbreaking loss, I'm reminded of poem I heard from long ago:

My Child, hurry
Grab onto your Mother's hand
The road to heaven
Is too dark
Mother's afraid
You'll hit your head
Hurry, 
Hold tightly to your Mother's hand
Let Mother walk with you

Mama
I'm afraid
The road to heaven
Is too dark
I cannot see your hand
The wall collapsed
And snatched away the sunlight
I'm afraid I'll never get to see
Your loving gaze again

My Child
You can go on ahead
The road before you
Has no more sorrow
It holds neither endless homework
Nor your father’s fist
You have to remember
What your father and I look like
We want to walk this road together in our next life

Mama
Don't worry
The road to heaven is crowded
There are many classmates and friends
We all say
Don’t cry
Every mom is our mom now
And every child is Mama's child
In the days without me
Give your love to the living children

Mama
Don’t cry
Tears will not light up our path
Let us walk to Heaven by ourselves
I will keep my promise, Mama
And remember what you and Papa look like
I also want to walk this road together in our next life

-- By Unknown Chinese Author

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post a comment.