1.26.2013

My first snowboarding experience

by Matt Dela Peña

Blurry iPhone pic. Because iPhone.

Since moving to Oregon nearly eight years ago, I have never been to the Cascades. My family has a chronic fear of driving in snow. Thus, it has been quite embarrassing to know that so many of my friends from places like Hawaii have already managed to visit that part of my own state. So yesterday, I went snowboarding for the first time.

Actually, a few years ago, I probably would not have agreed to go. I'm never usually up for trying new things, especially crazy, daredevil-type things like snowboarding. But, ever since I discovered that I like to travel, pretty much anything involving going somewhere can get me to say yes.


But to tell you the truth, when we arrived at the foot of the mountain and I saw how steep the incline was, cold sweat started to drip down my face like it was ninety degrees out.

The last time I felt that nervous was when I went down a water slide as a kid and realized immediately after that I could not swim. I still don't know why I declined to wear that life vest.

Anyway, we went to Cooper Spur Mountain Resort, just east of Mt. Hood. It was a quaint, little resort perhaps owned and operated by a local family. Equipment rental and an all day pass to ride their lifts was relatively cheap at $46 per person.

Riding the lift didn't trigger my fear of heights like I expected, maybe because I was so nervous thinking about the snowboard ride down. But getting off the chair without falling was the hardest thing I have ever done.


When I finally reached the edge of the slope and looked down, oh man did I get scared. Now, my first going down time was in no way or form what anyone would call graceful. But I gradually got better. Seeing my friends go through the course like it was nothing may have been discouraging at first, but by my fifth run, I began to shred snow and the addiction started to kick in.

I HAVE TO GO BACK.

Despite the bruises, the fatigue, and the initial cold feet (ba dum tss), snowboarding is seriously one of the funnest things I've ever done and I can't believe I've missed out on it for so long.

At the end of the day, we were all exhausted. I'm really sore right now so I don't think I'm going to get out of bed today, but I can't wait to go back.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post a comment.