1.19.2013

Not just on The Strip

by Matt Dela Peña


Most people go to Las Vegas for The Strip. Facts unchecked, it is probably where 100% of the city's tourism revenue comes from. As an Oregon hipster, I wanted my Sin City experience to be less mainstream, so I sought after a local who knew more things to do in the city than just hop around the hotels that surround Las Vegas Boulevard.

That's where my friend Gus comes in; Las Vegas born and raised. Although I'm pretty sure I invited myself to visit him for winter break, he seemed more than happy to let me crash at his house during my week long stay in the city. His family is very much the friendliest and most hospitable people I've ever met. In fact, his mom said and I quote, "You can come stay at our house anytime even if Gus isn't here." Yay! I also have to mention that I wasn't the only one who came to visit at the time. Devan, Isaac, and Amanda came too! Needless to say, Gus's ginormous house transformed into hostel overnight.

So, what did we do in Vegas? Well, we hit The Strip. Let's be honest, going to Las Vegas without going to The Strip is like going to China without seeing the Great Wall. Poor simile aside, we had a great time just hopping around the hotels that surround Las Vegas Boulevard.


But we mostly went to The Strip because a certain couple wanted to make a pilgrimage to Gordon Ramsey's Steakhouse...

Legs.

... only to find out that admission was $200++ per person. So we ended up eating at McDonald's.

Just kidding. Actually I'm getting ahead of myself. FIRST, we went to In-N-Out. As soon as I got there. This was the only reason I went to Vegas. Best place ever.

Side note: If anyone reading this has connections with the CEOs in someway, please convince them to bring this thing to Portland. I would literally go to this restaurant everyday if that's what it takes.


Two days later it was New Year's Eve, but even before we departed from Portland, our families were already discouraging us from ringing in 2013 at The Strip. Supposedly, being locked in The Strip with its countless bars during the first several hours of the new year would not be fun for anyone underage. So, we decided to avoid The Strip and watch the fireworks display from a Smith's parking lot. It actually ended up being a great idea.



The next day, we hit The Strip. When we got hungry, since we couldn't afford Gordon Ramsey's, we went to a Spanish restaurant a few blocks outside of Las Vegas Boulevard which served the best pork empanadas I've ever had. The place is called Firefly.

More please.

On my fifth day, Gus took us to a canyon just outside of the city, making me realize how much I love the desert landscape more than I do plain old [Oregon] forests. It still amazes me how not so distant a massive city can be to such a beautiful natural setting. This is Red Rock Canyon.


On my sixth and last day, we finally got to do what we had actually planned to do on the first day: Fast Lap, a go-kart circuit that runs a little faster than your average race. Packed with competitive men whose lives seemingly revolve around just go-kart racing, the race fills you up with loads of adrenaline and leaves with incredibly sore hands.

Btw, that's Pablo on the right.

All in all, Las Vegas ended up being a great trip. I'm truly grateful to Gus and his family for hosting my stay, and to Gus and Pablo for being excellent tour guides. 'Til next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post a comment.